The basic objectives remain the same: a better understanding of the African cultures, the reality, potential and challenges of the African peoples, seeking to promote more just relationships and integral development.
The target groups are: the young people and educators, the social leaders, politicians, business people and the Spanish speaking world.
The means at our disposal are: The Web, Radio programs, Courses, Interviews in TV, Publications and the networking with other groups interested in Africa. We have two professionals and dozens of voluntaries who are essential collaborators.
There is the need for an ongoing evaluation and adjustment of our contacts and activities to achieve the objectives in this ever changing mentality and with the wonderful digital means of the moment.
We wish to share with you some Impact Indicators, to see the relevance of AFS:
- The WEB: www.africafundacion.org
Our Web of AFS has become a reference in the Spanish speaking world to better know: the African news and events, the relevant studies and publications on Africa. This Web receives every day: 2.450 different entries IP (router identification number). The entries of a five member’s community or of a 2.000 student’s university, with one single IP (router), count as just one entry. Therefore these daily 2.450 entries can mean thousands and up to millions of individuals being informed.
Our Web presents several windows: editorials, relevant daily news on Africa, reports, academic articles, afro Islam, JPIC, agenda, interviews, radio programs, and the “bulletin knowledge on Africa”. This bulletin alone is sent weekly by email to 3.975 addresses, and reaches 25.602 visits a day or 108.580 a month. Our Web news and materials are followed by 5.000 Facebook followers and by 2.325 Twitter readers every day.
- The Library:
The library of AFS is, according to the researchers, the best library in Spain on African cultures, history, philosophy, languages, art, music, religions, films, etc. Our library consist of books written in English, French, and a few in Spanish and Portuguese. The library is made up of 24.320 books, plus 12 of the most prestigious international Magazines on African reality.
- Radio Programs:
AFS produces and presents three types of Radio Programs:
- “Africania”, consists in one hour program, with: editorial, news on Africa, interview with an African representative or Africanist, the agenda of activities and all flavored with African music. This program is presented to the “Union of Regional Radios” of Spain and South America. We know that 35 regional and local radios present regularly our programs, which receives 168 downloads a week (8.065 a year) by different individuals or other community radios, and this means a great outreach.
- “La otra cara de Africa” consists in a five minutes program to present the other face or less known face of Africa. The same 35 radios station broadcast our program which receives 129 downloads a week (6.192 a year) by individuals or other community radios, which spread more the information.
- “Africa Hoy” (Africa Today) is a program of the Spanish National Radio Group (RTVE). This program consists of an interview, every Friday, lasting 20-30 minutes, to analyse the most relevant news and events which have taken place during the week in the African Continent. This program has the capacity to reach several millions of Spanish speaking citizens in the world.
- University Courses:
AFS presents, every academic year, to five Universities, a program with different themes on Africa: cultures, religions, JPIC, Islam in Africa and in Europe, etc. The most popular topics chosen are: Islam in Africa and Europe, new slaveries in Africa, Human Rights, women as protagonist in Africa’s development, armed groups, etc.
Three confreres and staff, together with some African professors, are involved in presenting this service. Each professor presents normally 12 courses, of three hours each, and with an average of 70 university students per seminar. This means that each teacher encounters 870 students per year, and that the four of us educate 3.860 students per academic year, plus some professors.
An interesting fact is that three Madrid Universities have already integrated in their Curriculum different courses on Africa, where AFS is actively involved. AFS helps the EMUI-UCM university of Madrid to run a Master’s program of “The black peoples of Africa”, and has placed on line, a course on African philosophy.
AFS has an excellent position in the main searching programs (SEO), like Google, where we AFS is found in the first places, in all Africa related topics.
If you type in Google, Spain:
- “Knowledge of Africa”, you will find that AFS appears in the first page, third place,
- If “Bitacora Africana”, AFS has the first page and the first place,
- If “Africania”, you see AFS in the first page, and first place,
- If “Biblioteca Africana”, we appear in the first page, first place,
- If “Documentation Africana”, AFS has the first page, and first place,
- If “Estudios Africanos”, you will find us in the first page, and eight place,
- If “Cursos Universidad Africa”, AFS is the first page, third place,
- If “Islam en Africa”, AFS appears in the first place, seventh place,
- If “Afroislam”, we are in the first page, second place,
- If “Agenda Africana”, AFS is found in the first page, fourth place,
- If “Ensayos Casa Africa”, AFS has the first page, and first place,
- If “Pagina web Africa”, first page, first place,
- If “Portal web Africa”, first page, first place,
- If “Portal Africa”, first page, fifth place.
- Africa in the Schools and Libraries:
These are two programs of “Formal Education” and “Informal Education” which we have carried out for years, and which at present cannot be implemented for financial reasons. Over 500 pupils have benefited from such programs, as well as many teachers and librarians, seeking to enable them to be committed citizens in promoting an intercultural and responsible development. Within “Africa en la Escuela”, a very interesting and intercontinental program has been elaborated, in collaboration with thee African Universities (Ugandan Martyrs University, University of Ibadan and Kwame Nkrumah University) and three European ones (University of Malaga, Complutense of Madrid and UNED).
- AFS as a venue of Encounter:
We hold every week some new books and thesis presentations, written on Africa, and by African or other writers. The African Associations meet regularly in our premises, when they have invited guests or speakers, or just for their own meetings. The 25 African Ambassadors in Madrid always invited AFS to their celebrations and general meetings. They showed their appreciation, with a meaningful Gift to AFS, for the way Africa is being presented. When an African President comes in official visit to Spain, the King and government usually invite AFS to attend.
We host every day some 4/5 African youth, who come to our Centre to remain informed about their own Countries of origin. We also welcome daily some 2/3 researchers who come to consult our library, which holds 24.000 volumes.
Our budget for 2018 is 130.000 euros. This is our main challenge every year.
We sincerely thank you for your concern and for all your support to enable us carry on these activities.
Lázaro Bustince. M.Afr.
Director of AFS.